Russian Foreign Ministry: OPCW not rushing to investigate chemical incident in SyriaRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 25, 21:28
Russia’s legendary barque Kruzenshtern calls at Belgian portSociety & Culture May 25, 20:26
OPEC and non-OPEC countries to develop cooperation outside Vienna agreementBusiness & Economy May 25, 19:44
Russia squared-off with Western media blitz to smear World Cup preparationsSport May 25, 19:35
NATO seeks to continue and expand dialogue with RussiaWorld May 25, 19:01
WADA offers pole vaulter Isinbayeva post of ambassador for clean sports in Russia — sourceSport May 25, 18:57
Lavrov keeps close eye on situation with jailed Russian pilot in USRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 25, 18:51
Belkomur rail project brings new opportunities to Russia’s Arctic regionsBusiness & Economy May 25, 18:46
Russia to build first helicopter carrier by 2022Military & Defense May 25, 17:41
BEIRUT, February 10. /ITAR-TASS/. Three hundred Syrians were evacuated from the rebel-held old city of Homs on Monday, February 10, local personnel of the Red Crescent Society said.
Under the truce agreement between the rebels and the Syrian government, about a thousand children, women and elderly people were taken out of the city over the past three days.
“Given the extremely difficult conditions prevailing in Syria today - especially in towns like Homs - it is absolutely vital for all parties to the conflict to facilitate the work of all humanitarian and healthcare personnel,” Abdul Rahman al-Attar, president of SARC, said. “They must respect the Red Crescent and Red Cross emblems displayed on tents, buildings, vehicles and clothing and spare those bearing them.”
Relief workers and convoys were fire upon in Syria on Saturday, February 8, despite the truce agreement.
Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos expressed deep disappointment at the fact that a three-day humanitarian pause agreed between the parties to the Syrian conflict had been broken and aid workers had been deliberately targeted as they tried to deliver food and medicine to Homs.She extended sympathies to people who were injured in fighting and commended the courage and tenacity of the U.N. Humanitarian Coordinator and other U.N. and Red Crescent aid workers who entered the Old City of Homs to try and deliver critical aid.
Amos, who is also UN Emergency Relief Coordinator and head of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, noted that the latest attacks were a “stark reminder” of the dangers that civilians and aid workers face every day across Syria, where three years of fighting between pro- and anti-Government forces have left an estimated 9.3 million people in urgent need of humanitarian assistance.
She urged “those engaged in this brutal conflict to respect the humanitarian pause, ensure the protection of civilians and facilitate the safe delivery of aid.”
Amos stressed that “the United Nations and our humanitarian partners will not be deterred from doing the best we can to bring aid to those needing our help.