MOSCOW, February 07. /ITAR-TASS/. A ceasefire agreement has been reached for 72 hours in the Syrian city of Homs, the Russian Foreign Ministry reported on Friday.
“Homs Governor Talal al-Barazi and U.N. coordinator to Syria Jacob el-Helo reached an agreement on ceasefire for 72 hours and humanitarian contribution to residents of Homs’ Old Town due to the non-easy talks that the Russian Embassy in Damascus had played an energetic role in,” the ministry said.
Under the agreement, children, women and men on the wrong side of fifty-five, as well as injured people can leave the area of military actions without delay. “An official of the Syrian Foreign Ministry said they would be taken to temporary accommodation centres and delivered foodstuffs and given medical assistance. Old Town’s residents, who prefer to stay, will be rendered humanitarian aid,” the report says.
“Thus, we can say one of the pressing problems, which was discussed at the first round of inter-Syrian talks in Geneva from January 24 to January 31, had been solved,” the ministry said.
“We insist those who have influence upon disintegrated detachments of opponents to the Syrian government humanitarian problems in Syria not be politicized. We insist real efforts be exerted to ease the people’s sufferings. The Russian Federation intends to continue contacts with all parties involved in the Syrian conflicts and international partners,” the ministry said.