Syrian opposition ready for direct talks with government delegation — representativeWorld February 22, 21:56
UN Syria envoy expects no breakthrough at new round of Syria talksWorld February 22, 21:09
Russia opposes sharing responsibility for fate of Middle East refugeesRussian Politics & Diplomacy February 22, 20:36
First woman in space Valentina Tereshkova may meet with Queen Elizabeth IIRussian Politics & Diplomacy February 22, 20:27
Spain’s famous footballer Puyol returns to Russia next week ahead of FIFA 2017, 2018 CupsSport February 22, 20:15
Putin promotes generals to higher military ranks after Syria operationMilitary & Defense February 22, 19:56
Russia, Turkey may discuss purchase of S-400 systems at March talksMilitary & Defense February 22, 19:18
European human rights watchdog welcomes court’s ruling on Russian opposition activistWorld February 22, 18:42
Maslenitsa festival: a week of pancakes and joySociety & Culture February 22, 17:49
BEIRUT, February 07. /ITAR-TASS/. Fire has been ceased in the Syrian city of Homs for the next 72 hours.
The next step will be to deliver humanitarian aid to those who prefer to stay in the old city, he said.
Earlier, the U.N. World Food Program reported that trucks were ready to carry foodstuffs to people, who had been blocked in certain parts of the city. A total of 500 family food packets and 500 bags of flour will be distributed. This will be enough for 2,500 people within a month. UNICEF has collected packets for emergency medical aid, poliomyelitis vaccines, child’s clothes and water disinfection tablets.
Most people left Al Hamidia, Al Karabis and Al Khalidiya in 2012. Now 1,500 people are staying the areas, Syrian mass media report. The opposition said there was twice as much. The authorities say armed extremists use the population as “a human shield”.
SANA News Agency reports that the Homs governor and U.N. Coordinator in Syria Jacob al-Helo agreed to conduct an operation. “All who want to leave the city will be provided humanitarian contribution - a shelter has been granted and foodstuffs have been given,” the Syrian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
The Homs governor told television that militants, who surrendered arms voluntarily, would be able to be amnestied. Thus, regional observers do not rule out that humanitarian aid can lead to long reconciliation and settle the situation in Homs.
The operation’s success will create a positive climate before the second round of talks in Geneva due to start February 10.
The evacuation of peaceful civilians from Homs has been delayed for technical reasons, Al Mayadeen TV Channel reports.The TV outlet says the operation will start at 12:00 GMT.
The area of Jurat al-Shiyah is determined as a collecting station where the passage for a humanitarian convoy is being cleared up. Foodstuffs and medications inside the quarters, which are controlled by the armed opposition, are planning to be delivered to on Saturday, February 8.
As-Safir daily writes that at least 500-700 militants are being hided in the Old Town’s labyrinths. They will be able to leave Homs through a corridor in the northern sector. There have been no reports from Damascus yet.
In the meantime, SANA News Agency said over 190 rebels had surrendered arms in Ryan, Homs’ suburbs. They agreed with the president’s amnesty and pledged “not to pose a threat to security”.