KIEV, February 1 (Itar-Tass) - Progress in the investigation into the deaths of several participants in mass protest demonstrations in Kiev’s Grushevsky Street enjoys the unflagging personal attention of Interior Minister Vitaly Zakharchenko and the Prosecutor-General’s Office, a senior Interior Ministry official said on Friday.
“All possible investigative and detective measures are being taken in order to solve the crimes. A number of forensic examinations have been ordered. So far it has been found that the bullets were fired with smooth-bore hunting shotguns,” the first deputy chief of the Interior Ministry’s investigation department, Vitaly Sakal said. “To ensure the investigation be held with utmost diligence the criminal cases have been handed over to the investigative department of the city of Kiev. The interior minister and prosecutor-general’s office oversee them personally.”
The death of three men - Roman Senik, Sergey Nigoyan and Mikhail Zhiznevsky - was reported on January 22. The exact circumstances have remained unknown to this day. The opposition has blamed the murders on law enforcement personnel, but the Interior Ministry argues that the bullets that killed two of the three men during clashes in Kiev could not have been fired with standard police weapons.