Diplomat says UN may act as mediator at Astana talks between Damascus and oppositionRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 17, 21:31
Expert believes Brexit to bring UK closer to USWorld January 17, 20:29
Italian Foreign Ministry: It is necessary to assess conditions for returning to G8 formatWorld January 17, 20:04
Russia hopes ECHR will cancel its ruling on Dima Yakovlev Law — diplomatRussian Politics & Diplomacy January 17, 19:35
Preserving Moldova's neutrality impossible without partnership with Russia — presidentWorld January 17, 19:10
OPEC to monitor oil production, export — Saudi Arabian Energy MinisterBusiness & Economy January 17, 18:57
Group of Sukhoi-24M bombers to return from Syria soon — Defense MinistryMilitary & Defense January 17, 18:50
Russian reconciliation center reports over 1,130 Syrian settlements join ceasefireWorld January 17, 18:47
Over 5,000 Syrians get medical aid from Russian doctorsWorld January 17, 18:37
CHISINAU, January 23, 21:49 /ITAR-TASS/. Moldovan Prime Minister Iurie Leanca and self-proclaimed Transdniestrian republic’s leader Yevgeny Shevchuk will meet shortly to discuss how to invigorate bilateral negotiations on the Transdniestrian settlement.
The announcement was made by Moldovan Deputy Prime Minister responsible for reintegration Eugen Carpov and Transdniestrian Foreign Minister Nina Shtasnky on Thursday, January 23, after their consultations with officials representing the 5+2 format (Moldova, Transdniestria, the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Russia, Ukraine and observers from the United States and the European Union).
“Despite differing views during the discussion, I think we managed to come to consensus in the end. The meeting will take place to discuss education issues in detail,” Carpov said.
“I reiterate the importance of further contacts at all levels. We will announce shortly when such a meeting could take place. We will also announce our proposals concerning its agenda,” Shtansky said, adding that it would take “serious work, including by political representatives” to prepare such a meeting.
During their consultations, Shtansky and Carpov discussed the preparation of the next round of 5+2 talks to be held for the first time in Chisinau and Tiraspol under the Serbian-Swiss OSCE presidency, not abroad, at the end of February.
Last year, the sides met four times in Lvov, Odessa, Vienna and Kiev. No progress was reached mainly due to diametrically opposing positions: Chisinau suggested discussing political issues, including the future status of Transdniestria within Moldova, while Tiraspol said it was premature and insisted on addressing economic and social issues in order to build mutual confidence.
The Transdniestrian conflict started in March 1992 when the first clashes occurred between Moldovan police and Transdniestrian militia near the city of Dubossary, which were followed by an outbreak of armed hostilities. By summer, it had developed into large-scale fighting in Bendery, where about a thousand people were killed and tens of thousands were wounded and became refugees.
The fratricidal war was stopped after a peace agreement was signed in Moscow in July of the same year and Russian peacekeepers were brought into the conflict area.
Since then, they have been guarding peace and calm in the region, together with their Moldovan and Transdniestria colleagues, thus allowing Chisinau and Tiraspol to conduct negotiations on the settlement of the conflict.
Russian peacekeepers were deployed in the region in July 1992 after the presidents of Moldova and Russia had signed in Moscow an agreement on the peaceful settlement of the Transdniestrian conflict, thus putting an end to the fratricidal war that had claimed over a thousand lives and left tens of thousands wounded and refugees.
The limited group of Russian troops (LGRT) and Russian peacekeepers are staying in the Transdniestrian Moldovan Republic in accordance with the Agreement on the Principles of Peaceful Settlement of the Moldovan-Transdniestrian Conflict that was signed in 1992 by the heads of Russia and the Republic of Moldova in the presence of the president of Transdniestria. The joint statement of the presidents of Moldova, Transdniestria and Russia signed on March 18, 2009 noted the stabilising role of the Russian peacekeeping mission in the region and the advisability for its transformation into a peace-safeguarding operation under the auspices of the OSCE only after the Transdniestrian settlement. The LGRT guards the remains of arms depots that were built during the Second World War and that began to be moved out in 2000. This process was later stopped by the Transdniestrian authorities following a deep stalemate in the Moldovan-Transdniestrian conflict.
Since then, they have been guarding peace in the region together with their Moldovans and Transdniestrian colleagues. No armed clashes or deaths of peaceful citizen have been reported in the region during this period.
The Transdniestrian settlement talks in 5+2 format were broken up at the end of February 2006. Chisinau and Tiraspol managed to resume the dialogue with Russia’s assistance two years later at the level of political representatives. They gathered every month to resolve pressing problems of the population of Moldova and the breakaway republic. In March 2009, the negotiations were resumed again after the trilateral meeting of the presidents of Russia, Moldova and Transdniestria. At their meetings in Moscow and Vilnius late last year and in Dublin this year, the parties agreed to resume the talks.
The agenda of the 5+2 talks consists of three sets of issues: socioeconomic problems, humanitarian issues and human rights, and comprehensive settlement, including institutional, political and security issues.
The previous round of the 5+2 talks was held in Brussels in October of this year. It followed a high-level meeting between Leanca and Shevchuk.