Opposition leader Vladimir Neklyayev detained in Belarus - news agency directorWorld March 25, 5:33
Russia submits amicus curiae brief to US Supreme CourtRussian Politics & Diplomacy March 25, 3:34
Russia, China suggest for UN SC to adopt resolution on chemical terrorism threatRussian Politics & Diplomacy March 25, 3:23
Russian lawmaker compares European Union to Soviet UnionRussian Politics & Diplomacy March 25, 3:16
Russian emergencies ministry says fire at Kazan’s gunpowder factory fully extinguishedWorld March 25, 3:01
Relations btw US, Russia worst over half-century - Lukin quoting KissingerRussian Politics & Diplomacy March 25, 2:58
Russia suggests setting up international coalition for demining operations in SyriaRussian Politics & Diplomacy March 25, 1:08
One person dies in fire at gunpowder factory in Russia's KazanWorld March 24, 21:47
Russia's 'Gentlefan' baton passed on to Krasnodar ahead of Cote d’Ivoire friendlySport March 24, 21:34
WASHINGTON, September 13. (Itar-Tass). – A terrorist attack on the US consulate occurred in the city of Herat in northwestern Afghanistan, no American citizens have been injured, as reported by US State Department spokesperson Marie Harf.
Meanwhile, АР news agency reported from Kabul that three persons died as a result of this terrorist attack, among them one Afghani that had been working as interpreter for the embassy. Local police says over 10 people including embassy’s guards from locals, have been injured. At present, Afghani security forces are scouring the neighborhood in search for the militants. According to reports, Taliban movement has taken responsibility for the terrorist attack.
The US State Department representative noted that the attack occurred at 05:30 a.m. local time. According to available information, a truck arrived to the mission’s gate with several unknown men who exited the vehicle and started shooting at the guards, allegedly using rocket-propelled grenades and assault rifles. Soon after, the truck exploded seriously damaging the entrance, Marie Harf said.
The consulate’s security officers and the guards returned the fire and the attack was fought off. Not all details of the incident are currently known, but, according to State Department spokesperson, it is likely that some of the attackers had suicide bombs on their bodies.
Afghanistan-based Tolo TV broadcaster showed live footage where police officers were carrying the injured from the site of the incident. Tolo’s commentator noted that while the withdrawal of the major fart of foreign troops approaches the terrorists have become more active, including in relatively calm provinces in the north and west of the country.