BISHKEK, September 5 (Itar-Tass) - Officials monitoring for traces of bubonic plague have lifted quarantine restrictions on the Issyk-Kul region of Kyrgyzstan, the health ministry told Itar-Tass on Thursday. But medical staff are still making door-to-door inspections in 37 settlements of the Ak-Suisky district, they announced.
Over the past two weeks since 15-year-old Temirbek Isakunov died from the plague, local doctors have examined more than 65,000 people. No further symptoms have been discovered.
The remainder of 4,162 people in hospital after contact with the boy who died were discharged from hospital on Wednesday, the ministry said, adding that the source of the infection had been isolated.
Ak-Suisky district was quarantined after the boy died, believed to have been infected on highland pastures.
The last case of a person contracting plague in Kyrgyzstan was 32 years ago.