WASHINGTON, August 6 (Itar-Tass) - Current suspension of operations at nineteen U.S. embassies in the Middle East and Africa has been caused by the intercepted messages of Al Qaida’s boss Ayman al-Zawahiri, a number of U.S. media said Monday.
According to the New York Time, the U.S. secret services got familiarized with the contents of several conversations Al-Zawahiri had last week. He spoke Nasser al-Wuhayshi, the Leader of Al Qaida in the Middle East grouping either over the phone or on the Internet with the aid of appropriate software.
The media quoted unnamed U.S. officials saying the interception of Al Zawahiri’s conversation had helped expose one of the most serious plots against the interests of the U.S. and the West in general after the 9/11 terrorist acts.
Reportedly, Al-Zawahiri and Al-Wahuyshi discussed specific times on which the terrorist acts were to be committed last Sunday, August 4.
A source told The New York Times the two international terrorists did not specify either the place or the precise time for effectuation of the terrorist acts.
In the meantime, the Associated Press cited somewhat different data. The case in hand is just one message from Al-Zawahiri to Al-Wahuyshi that was intercepted by Western secret services a week ago.
At first, the intelligence community ostensibly believed that the conversation pointed to a threat to Yemen only but it changed its opinion later.
The U.S. has decided to close all the diplomatic missions in Abu Dhabi, Amman, Antananarivo, Bujumbura, Dahran, Djibouti, Jeddah, Doha, Dubai, Cairo, Kigali, Manama, Musqat, Pot Louis, Sana’a, Tripoli, Khartoum, El Kuwait, and Riyads.
Some other countries having diplomatic missions in the region followed the Americans in thed footsteps.