CAIRO, July 22 (Itar-Tass) - The children of overthrown President Mohamed Morsi said they would initiate an investigation of their father’s “kidnapping”, and may take the case to the International Criminal Court.
“We will go to the ICC in order to determine the fate of our father who has been held in detention since July 3,” Morsi’s son Osama said on Monday, July 22. He said the current regime is fully responsible for his health and security.
At the same time, Morsi’s daughter Shaimaa said the family would take “legitimate measures” against the Defence Ministry, Army General Abdel Fatah al-Sisi, whom she described as “the leaders of a bloody military coup”.
Morsi was removed from power by the military on July 3 after several days of mass protests across the country where people demanded his resignation. The military and some of the political forces then announced a roadmap that outlined the terms of the transitional period that should end in January or February of next year with an early presidential election.
Morsi’s whereabouts are kept secret. It is only known that he is being held at one of the military facilities. The new authorities said earlier that Morsi was staying in a safe place “for his own security” and was treated “with dignity”.
The Prosecutor General’s Office is now examining several lawsuits filed against Islamist leaders, mainly Muslim Brotherhood, including ousted President Morsi. The charges they may face include espionage, repressions against peaceful demonstrators, incitement to murder, illegal possession of arms and explosives, undermining of national security and sovereignty, damage to the national economy.
Several Western countries, including the United States and Germany, have asked the incumbent Egyptian authorities to release Morsi.