2017 FIFA Confederations Cup in Russia is 'so far, so good' — Germany’s Emre CanSport June 23, 11:24
NHL says Olympic participation matter closedSport June 23, 11:12
Russia’s telecom watchdog may block Telegram messenger in RussiaBusiness & Economy June 23, 9:15
Russian warships fire Kalibr cruise missiles, destroy IS arms depots in SyriaMilitary & Defense June 23, 9:07
Kazakh foreign minister denies talks on sending troops to SyriaWorld June 23, 8:05
Russian fighters scrambled 14 times in past week to intercept foreign aircraft — ministryMilitary & Defense June 23, 6:17
EU summit participants show unity on anti-Russian sanctions — MerkelWorld June 23, 4:11
Moldovan parliament refuses to hold no confidence vote in Foreign Minister Andrei GalburWorld June 23, 2:03
Google.ru’s temporary ban should serve as reminder to others — lawmakerBusiness & Economy June 23, 1:59
PARIS, March 28 (Itar-Tass) – European Court for Human Rights has entertained a lawsuit filed on the part of members of the Nochnoi Dozor /Nighttime Vigil/ public association, which organized protests in the Estonian capital Tallinn in the spring of 2007 against the decision of the Baltic country’s authorities to dismantle, refashion and relocate a post-World War II monument to Soviet soldiers.
A communiqu· the court issued in Strasbourg Thursday says the Estonian government is expected to pay out a compensation totaling 50,000 euro to participants in the protests.
European Court judges admitted that the Estonian law enforcement agencies encroached on Article 3 of the European Convention for Human Rights, which prohibits torture and inhumane/humiliating treatment, upon detaining the protesters against the pull-down of the ‘Bronze Soldier’.
The lawsuit was filed by three nationals of Estonia, two nationals of Russia and two ‘permanent alien residents’ of Estonia. Public activist Alexander Korobov, who was one of the founders of Nochnoi Dozor, was among the claimants.
Estonia has the right to appeal the European Court’s ruling.