PARIS, May 13. /TASS/. The knife attacker who killed one and wounded four other people in a suspected terror attack in Paris, was in the police’s database of security suspects with propensity for radical Islamic actions, AFP reported on Sunday with reference to investigative authorities.
The attacker, aged 20, was born in Chechnya, his parents have been taken into custody, the agency said.
He had been put on the list of security suspects for having ties with a person located in Syria, according to the data provided by investigative authorities. Meanwhile, no law violations were registered regarding the young man, BFM TV said.
The stabbing attack took place at about 21.30 in Paris’ second arrondissement where the city's opera and prestigious residential areas are located. The assailant was shot dead by police after carrying out the assault on Saturday evening. Initial reports said eight people were injured. Later, it became known that four people had actual knife wounds, while some others sought medical assistance for the state of shock. Two of those injured were hospitalized in critical condition.
The authorities are treating the attack as terror related, primarily because witnesses described him shouting "Allahu akbar", a refrain commonly used by jihadists when carrying out attacks, AFP said.
The Islamic State terrorist group (outlawed in Russia) claimed responsibility for the attack.