Poll shows Russians see US and Ukraine as main sources of military threatSociety & Culture June 28, 11:52
Putin says St. Petersburg international naval show helps promote Russian hardwareMilitary & Defense June 28, 11:47
Microsoft antivirus software able to protect equipment against Petya ransomware — companyBusiness & Economy June 28, 11:14
Russian government may establish $1.7 bln digital economy fundBusiness & Economy June 28, 11:07
Media: NSA-linked tools used in new large-scale cyber attackWorld June 28, 9:24
Russian helicopter crews hold drills in TajikistanMilitary & Defense June 28, 8:20
Japanese business delegation visits Russia’s Kuril IslandsRussian Politics & Diplomacy June 28, 7:30
Kiev, Paris agree to ‘revive’ Minsk deal ahead of Normandy Four meeting — PoroshenkoWorld June 28, 7:25
Diplomat vows CNN will not get off the hook with ash-covered toddler clipWorld June 28, 3:12
MOSCOW, December 14. /TASS/. The Russian Bobsleigh Federation (RBF) intends to discuss with the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation (IBSF) issues regarding the compensation for relocating the 2017 World Championship from Russia’s Sochi, RBF President Alexander Zubkov told TASS on Wednesday.
IBSF announced on Tuesday night its decision to relocate the 2017 World Championship from the Russian resort city of Sochi to another venue, which would be determined by the end of the week. The decision was made in light of numerous allegations on doping abuse and manipulations in Russian sport, mentioned in the recent report of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
"The preparations for the World Championship were underway in line with the schedule and the boycott of a single country could not have possibly brought such drastic changes," Zubkov said in an interview with TASS. "However, when one refusal followed the other and so on, the international federation had to convene its Executive Committee for a session and it made the decision to relocate the championship."
"As for the possible compensation for our preparations for the world championship, we are currently reviewing our agreement with the IBSF and will be then discussing this issue," Zubkov added.
The 2017 IBSF World Championship was scheduled to be held at the Sochi Olympic facilities between February 13 and 26.
According to the Part 2 report, delivered last Friday in London by the WADA Independent Commission and its chairman, Canadian sports law professor Richard McLaren, over 1,000 Russian athletes competing in summer, winter and Paralympic sports could have been involved in the manipulations system to conceal positive doping tests.
McLaren’s Part Two report claimed in particular that doping samples of 12 Russian medalists of 2014 Winter Games in Sochi had been tampered with. In addition, doping tests of two more Russian athletes, who won four gold medals of the 2014 Sochi Olympics had been falsified as well.
The report did not mention particular names and McLaren later told TASS that the decision against making public the names of athletes, who are allegedly guilty of doping abuse, was made in respect to their private life, and, moreover, it should be done by international sports federations and not him personally.
Following the report, the Latvian and South Korean national bobsleigh and skeleton teams announced their decision to boycott the championship in Russia’s Sochi. A number of US and British athletes expressed similar intentions, while the German Olympic Committee proposed on Tuesday night to relocate the tournament and offered their facilities as the venue for the championship.