Denis Matsuev: That weird idea workedSociety & Culture September 25, 8:00
Merkel wins Bundestag electionsWorld September 25, 5:37
Russian senator believes German Social Democrats interested in boosting ties with MoscowRussian Politics & Diplomacy September 25, 2:42
Lavrov comments on US declaration on UN reformRussian Politics & Diplomacy September 24, 13:34
Lavrov believes US will not attack North KoreaRussian Politics & Diplomacy September 24, 13:32
US forces assist Syrian opposition in crossing IS positions — Defense MinistryRussian Politics & Diplomacy September 24, 12:55
Putin discusses Russia’s economy growth with ministersBusiness & Economy September 24, 2:38
Lavrov warns against partition of SyriaRussian Politics & Diplomacy September 23, 0:00
Lavrov calls to coordinate Russian, US military action in SyriaRussian Politics & Diplomacy September 22, 21:05
MOSCOW, October 4. /TASS/. Russian Olympic Committee President Alexander Zhukov told TASS he was hoping to see Maria Sharapova among global top league of tennis players at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
Shamil Tarpishchev, the president of the Russian Tennis Federation (RTF), told TASS earlier in the day that the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) reduced the suspension term for Sharapova, who was banned for two years over doping-related charges since January 26.
"I hope that Maria will recover her shape, return to tennis elite and will be playing at the (2020 Olympic) Games in Tokyo," Zhukov said in an interview with TASS.
"I sincerely wish her sports longevity."
On June 9, Sharapova filed an appeal with the CAS in Switzerland’s Lausanne against her two-year suspension, which was imposed on June 8 by the International Tennis Federation’s (ITF) Tribunal over anti-doping violations.
Due to the imposed ban world’s former No. 1 Sharapova had to miss the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, held in August in Brazil’s Rio de Janeiro.
In early March, Sharapova announced that her doping tests revealed the presence of performance enhancing drug meldonium in the body system. Following the announcement, former World’s No. 1 was provisionally suspended from all tennis-related activities.