Lavrov calls to coordinate Russian, US military action in SyriaRussian Politics & Diplomacy September 22, 21:05
Lavrov blames Obama administration for souring Russia-US tiesRussian Politics & Diplomacy September 22, 20:41
Waging war on Korean Peninsula inadmissible, says LavrovRussian Politics & Diplomacy September 22, 20:36
Russian Northern Fleet completes drills in ArcticMilitary & Defense September 22, 18:01
OPEC and non-OPEC countries to continue talks on oil production cut dealBusiness & Economy September 22, 17:28
Russian pair figure skaters Kavaguti, Smirnov retire from sportSport September 22, 16:48
Record number of delegations register for St. Petersburg-hosted IPU AssemblyRussian Politics & Diplomacy September 22, 16:47
Astronauts to make quickest trip ever to ISS in DecemberScience & Space September 22, 16:27
Russian frigate Admiral Essen returns to Crimea after mission in MediterraneanMilitary & Defense September 22, 16:24
MOSCOW, August 15. /TASS/. The president of the Russian Paralympic Committee, Vladimir Lukin, expressed confidence on Monday that the Court of Arbitration for Sport will allow the appeal against a blanket ban on the Russian Paralympic team to compete at the Rio Olympic Games.
"We expect success of our appeal and a (favorable) decision of the Court of Arbitration," Lukin told Rossiya 1 television. "As is known, the Court of Arbitration demonstrates its balanced approach and makes decisions competently in many cases. That is why we expect to win, it can’t be otherwise," he said.
Russia’s Paralympic Committee (RPC) has filed an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against a decision to ban the team to compete at the Rio Olympics, the RPC press office told TASS earlier on Monday.
The CAS’s decision on the appeal filed by the Russian Paralympic Committee is expected by August 22 midnight, the press office said.
The RPC announced on Wednesday night that it had entered an arbitrary deal with the International Paralympic Committee on filing a lawsuit with the Swiss-based CAS against the blanket ban of Russian Paralympians from 2016 Rio.
On Tuesday, Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko told TASS that the RPC should follow in the footsteps of the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) in filing its response to the decision to bar Russian Paralympians from 2016 Rio.
The IPC opened proceedings against the RPC on July 22 after receiving from the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) a list of 35 Russian Paralympians, mentioned in the recent report of the Richard McLaren-led Independent Commission.
Early this month, IPC chief Philip Craven said that ten more Russian Paralympians were suspected of violating anti-doping regulations.
Based on the McLaren report, WADA’s Executive Committee advised last month the International Olympic Committee, the International Paralympic Committee and all international sports federations to bar Russian athletes from all international competitions, including the 2016 Olympics and Paralympics.
On August 7, the IPC slapped a blanket ban on the Russian Paralympic team, barring it from participating in the Rio Games slated for September 7-18.