MOSCOW, August 9. /TASS/. Russian Sport Minister Vitaly Mutko has said he hoped for a different decision of the Swiss Federal Court in Lausanne in the cases of Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva and hurdler Sergey Shubenkov.
Isinbayeva and Shubenkov earlier filed appeals to the Swiss Federal Court in Lausanne over the verdict of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to ban them from competing in the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. On Monday it was reported that the court rejected their appeals and thus upheld their disqualification from the Olympics.
"The Federal Court considered the appeal last Friday but made a decision only yesterday. Of course, we hoped for a different result," Mutko told TASS on Tuesday. "We were informed that it went like this: ‘Guys, you have little time in any case. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will not allow you to compete or will just not have enough time to allow you this.’ However, we still have to receive the motivational part of the decision, look at the legal part as it is not right to discuss it before this," the sports minister added.
"I will say it once again: we have many problems, but other countries do as well, and this should be admitted. The majority of our track and field athletes are absolutely clean. We have been under strict control of foreign anti-doping services over the last year, and they had no claims, especially against the participation of our track and field athletes in the Olympics," Mutko noted.