Diplomat slams calls to boycott 2018 FIFA World Cup as ‘campaign to contain Russia’Sport March 29, 16:34
How Russians conquered the Arctic in vintage photosBusiness & Economy March 29, 16:00
Putin sacks Russian traffic police chief, envoy to ECHRRussian Politics & Diplomacy March 29, 15:58
FIDE chief Ilyumzhinov names people allegedly plotting to oust himSport March 29, 15:52
Russian diplomat says situation with Syrian ceasefire 'not desperate'Russian Politics & Diplomacy March 29, 15:42
Russian diplomat says new Cold War possibleRussian Politics & Diplomacy March 29, 15:32
Theresa May triggers Brexit processWorld March 29, 14:47
All Sberbank offices in Ukraine resume operationsBusiness & Economy March 29, 14:34
Police conduct search at Moscow scientology center — sourceWorld March 29, 14:28
MOSCOW, July 30. /TASS/. The Russian side will argue at civil courts the suspension of Russian athletes from the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Minister of Sports Vitaly Mutko said in an interview on Saturday.
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Independent Commission, chaired by Canadian law professor, Richard McLaren, released a report on July 18 on the results of its probe into the accusations of doping and manipulation of tests by Russian athletes and officials at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games.
According to the details, the commission claimed it had found evidence that Russia’s Sports Ministry and the Center for the Training of Russian National Teams and the Federal Security Service had covered up a doping program in Russian sports.
The report from WADA’s Commission stated in particular that the commission’s investigation registered a total of 643 cases of Disappearing Positive Test Results in Russia between 2012 and 2015 involving athletes from 30 sports.
Following the commission’s report last week, WADA recommended the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) and all international sports federations ban Russian athletes from all international sports competitions, including Rio 2016.
"We shall apply to civil courts, that would be for protection of honor, dignity and for moral damage," he said. "We should do so after the Olympic Games."
After a conference call by its Executive Board on July 24, the IOC urged international federations for winter sports events to suspend preparations for major competitions in Russia. The motion will be in effect until December 31, 2016 and may be reviewed at a December session of the IOC Executive Board.
IOC President Thomas Bach, however, announced on Sunday that Russian athletes, with the exception of field and track competitors, were allowed to participate in the 2016 Summer Olympics based on individual approval of each respective international sports federation or association.
His statement followed last Sunday’s teleconference of the IOC Executive Board, which, however, ruled than no Russian athlete, who had been previously sanctioned for doping, would be allowed to take part in the Rio Olympics, even if they have served the sanction as well as any athlete mentioned in the McLaren report.