Netanyahu determined to prevent Iran from strengthening positions in SyriaWorld August 23, 18:21
Russia's military might on display at Army-2017 forumMilitary & Defense August 23, 18:20
Russian defense minister examines weapons seized from terrorists in SyriaMilitary & Defense August 23, 18:12
Grand Russian art exhibition to be held in Vatican in 2018Society & Culture August 23, 17:47
Argentinian footballer Emiliano Rigoni signs contract with Russia’s Zenit FCSport August 23, 17:36
German chancellor suggests exerting diplomatic pressure on North KoreaWorld August 23, 17:01
Russian Defense Ministry orbits satellite for inspecting military space apparatusMilitary & Defense August 23, 16:59
Israel supports Russia’s participation in Sobibor memorial project in PolandWorld August 23, 16:35
Indonesia clinches delivery contract for Russian Su-35 fighter jetsMilitary & Defense August 23, 16:25
KOVROV /Vladimir Region/, January 19. /TASS/. Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said he thinks the FIFA World Cup will lose its identity if matches of the global tournament are held in different countries within a single continent as one of FIFA’s presidential candidates proposed earlier.
Gianni Infantino, one of the five candidates running for the post of the FIFA presidency, announced in his election campaign manifesto, which was published earlier in the day, that more than two countries should have the privilege of hosting the World Cup at one time.
"FIFA should investigate the possibility of organizing the World Cup not only in one or two countries but in a whole region, so enabling several countries to enjoy the honor and benefits of hosting the World Cup," Infantino said in his election campaign manifesto.
Commenting on Infantino’s announcement, Mutko said in an interview with TASS that "this is a campaign idea."
"I do not think this idea is good," Mutko, who is also the president of the Russian Football Union and a member of the FIFA Executive Committee, said. "The World Cup is a grand and unique event. Everyone, however, has his own opinion. But I believe that the identity would be lost as well as the holiday of a particular country and culture."
The officially registered candidates running for the post of the FIFA president in February 26 elections are: UEFA Secretary General Gianni Infantino, FIFA Vice President and Jordanian Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein, South Africa’s ex-Minister Of Housing Construction Tokyo Sexwale, former-FIFA Secretary General Jerome Champagne and President of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa.
FIFA suspended President Sepp Blatter, 79, was reelected for his fifth consecutive four-year presidential term on May 29 last year, when his only rival Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan pulled out after the first round of vote.
However, addressing a news conference in Zurich on June 2, Blatter said he decided to lay down his mandate at FIFA extraordinary elective Congress. FIFA announced in July that the election of the new president would be held next year on February 26, 2016.