GENEVA, January 13. /TASS/. Temporary suspended FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke has been dismissed from his post, a statement from FIFA announced on Wednesday.
"The FIFA Emergency Committee decided, on 9 January 2016, to dismiss Jerome Valcke from the position of FIFA Secretary General with immediate effect," the statement from the world’s governing body of football said. "Jerome Valcke is therefore no longer the Secretary General of FIFA."
FIFA announced on September 18 that Valcke, who held the post of the organization’s secretary general since 2007, was "put on leave and released from his duties effective immediately until further notice." Valcke’s deputy Markus Kattner was appointed the acting secretary general of FIFA for an indefinite period of time.
On January 6, the adjudicatory chamber of the FIFA Ethics Committee, chaired by Hans-Joachim Eckert, extended the suspension of Jerome Valcke by 45 days, at the request of the investigatory chamber.
FIFA announced last year it was notified that 54-year-old Valcke was allegedly involved in illegal schemes of ticket sales for matches of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and also taking a bribe to support South African bid to host the 2010 World Cup.
An unprecedented corruption scandal flared up in FIFA in the morning of May 27, 2015, one day before the 65th FIFA Congress in Zurich, as seven of the organization’s high-ranking officials were arrested in Switzerland on bribery, money laundering and corruption charges. The scandal involves two separate criminal proceedings.
FIFA President Sepp Blatter, 79, was re-elected for his fifth consecutive four-year presidential term on May 29, when his only rival Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan pulled out after the first round of vote.
However, addressing a news conference in Zurich on June 2, Blatter said he decided to lay down his mandate at FIFA extraordinary elective Congress. FIFA announced in July that the election of the new president would be held on February 26, 2016.