NEW YORK, December 23. /TASS/. FIFA chief Sepp Blatter, who has been banned from all football activities for eight years following an ethics investigation, has told the Wall Street Journal that his work in football is finished.
"I’ve finished my work in football," he told the newspaper on Tuesday. "I lost faith in our organization on May 27 with this intervention by American law enforcement," he said, referring to the arrest of several FIFA officials on corruption charges at a Zurich hotel.
On Monday, the previously suspended FIFA and UEFA presidents, Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini respectively, were both banned for eight years by FIFA's Ethics Committee from all international football activities. Both of them deny any wrongdoing and plan to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Blatter, 79, was re-elected for a fifth term on May 29. However, on June 2, Blatter - at the helm of FIFA since 1998 - announced his plans to resign, noting that he would remain president until new elections due on February 26 next year.
In September, Blatter and Platini were suspended from their posts as part of the investigation into corruption allegations against them. Among a number of corruption allegations, Blatter is suspected of a disloyal payment of 2 million Swiss francs to UEFA President Platini in February 2011.