Russian rotocraft maker expects to sign deal with Defense Ministry on Mi-38 deliveriesMilitary & Defense May 25, 12:31
Death toll from fires in Russia’s Krasnoyarsk region rises to threeWorld May 25, 12:18
Iran expects supplies from Russia within oil-for-food dealBusiness & Economy May 25, 12:16
NATO chief underlines importance of full implementation of Minsk agreementsWorld May 25, 12:07
170 homes burn down in Siberian fires, Russian Emergencies Ministry saysWorld May 25, 11:52
Russia starts state trials of upgraded ‘Night Hunter’ helicopterMilitary & Defense May 25, 11:41
Stoltenberg says Norway remembers Red Army’s role in liberation from fascismWorld May 25, 11:16
Stoltenberg welcomes contacts between NATO-allied countries and RussiaWorld May 25, 10:51
Soyuz carrier rocket with military satellite launched from Russian spaceportScience & Space May 25, 10:07
MOSCOW, October 14. /TASS/. Russian titled figure skater Evgenii Plushenko told TASS on Wednesday he had no plans at the moment to undergo any surgeries on his spine.
In mid-September Plushenko was diagnosed with a new spinal injury and president of the Russian Figure Skating Federation Alexander Gorshkov announced last month that the figure skater would miss the current season.
"There were media reports that I would undergo a surgery, which is necessary for me," Plushenko said in an interview with TASS. "I want to say personally, that there were no surgeries and I do not plan any as of today."
"I traveled to Israel, where I underwent spinal block and physiotherapeutic procedures," he said. "I am feeling well now. Yes, I am not jumping quadruples as my doctor prohibits it. But I do triple and a half and all triple jumps. My spine allows such jumps."
The figure skater announced late last month that although he was skipping the current season due to a new spinal injury he currently worked on three new programs, which are two short programs and one free dance. He told TASS two weeks ago that he would skate his new program at a demonstration performance in the Estonian capital of Tallinn on October 18.
Although retired in the past Plushenko first stunned media in the summer of 2014 by announcing that he intended to compete for another title at the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea’s PyeongChang, which may turn into his 5th career Olympics. He officially announced his comeback on April 17 this year.
The titled 32-year-old Russian figure skater performed in four Olympics throughout his career, winning his first Olympic gold at the 2006 Winter Games in Italy’s Turin and the second in February last year at Russia’s Winter Olympics in Sochi. He retired from sports after the Sochi Olympics.
Plushenko, who also brought Russia silver medals both at the 2002 Olympics in US Salt Lake City and at the 2010 Olympics in Canada’s Vancouver and won seven European champion titles, struggled with back injuries over the two skating seasons prior to the 2014 Sochi Olympics, but kept insisting that he would be able to perform well on his home ice.
He partly kept his promise winning the gold in team’s competition in Sochi, but his withdrawal from the men’s individuals saw him not only going to Israel last March for the surgery on his back, but drew mass criticism across Russia.
During a warm-up before the individuals’ performance, Plushenko attempted a triple axel jump, but landed uncomfortably aggravating his old injury and breaking a screw that supported an artificial intervertebral disk in his back.
Eventually, the Russian figure skating star withdrew from the competition and later announced that he had decided to quit sports for good.
In April, Plushenko was enlisted once again in the Russian national figure skating team.