MOSCOW, June 30 /TASS/. The state will continue financing sport for the next five or six years, Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said on Tuesday in a comment on media reports that professional sport clubs would have limited right to spend the money received from the state and state-owned companies to their own discretion.
"We should be guided by a document, which has been considered by the presidential council for sport. Our task is to discuss how the state should continue financing sport — from the budget, via state monopolies or by state-owned companies. We should outline the criteria for spending these funds. The state is not planning to withdraw from big sport in the next five or six years. We do not have a fully market economy in this country so far, and investments in sport will not pay back in full measure. State monopolies and state-owned companies will continue supporting professional clubs because it’s a kind of criterion," Mutko said.
At the time, the minister said that professional sport clubs funded by state-owned companies should act in the interests of national teams, develop youth and children’s sport and train a sport reserve. "The clubs should act within the framework of a government policy under which we should shift the focus to our national teams. We already have problems in many playing sports. The state allows spending the money but it should also write the rules of spending," Mutko emphasized.
The presidential council for development of physical culture and sport will hold a regular meeting in November 2015. They will discuss the development of football in Russia and the provision of sport infrastructure with a view of preparations for the 2018 World Cup," the Russian sport minister stressed.