Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Russia sticks to 2018 World Cup preparation schedule amid FIFA corruption scandal

June 11, 2015, 15:52 UTC+3 MOSCOW
The director general of the organizing commitee said the most important part of the preparations at the moment is the infrastructure
1 pages in this article
© Valery Matytsin/TASS

MOSCOW, June 11. /TASS/. The Russia-2018 organizing committee fully observes the FIFA schedules during the preparation for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, the committee’s director general Alexey Sorokin told the World Football Forum in Moscow.

"We strictly observe all schedules. The most important thing for us now is the infrastructure," Sorokin said.

On Wednesday, the city of Samara in the Volga region hosted a meeting of the council of the Russia-2018 organizing committee with the participation of FIFA representatives. The council is the supreme body of communication between the organizing committee and FIFA in the framework of preparations for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

"These meetings are held on a regular basis. We discuss topics that require our attention openly and in a productive fashion. The FIFA delegation members were satisfied with what they saw in Samara. We showed them the airport, the site where the stadium is being built as well as the city’s places of interest," Sorokin said.

The World Cup matches are due to be held between June 14 and July 15, 2018, on 12 stadiums in 11 cities of Russia.

The Swiss police have opened a criminal case against a number of officials suspected of financial misconduct during the selection of the host countries of the FIFA 2018 and 2022 World Cups. FIFA said a while ago that there had been no violations by the Russian side.

"We know that the investigation is under way, and we don’t understand why this investigation is being carried out. We say once again that we are ready to provide all materials and to cooperate with the investigators. The whole affair is over, and we are fully satisfied with its conclusions, all charges against us have been dropped," Sorokin said. "We would be very much disappointed if all that began once again now. It’s very distracting. We are involved in the preparation process. We undertook major commitments and are determined to fulfill them. All our activities are transparent."

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама