The highlights of IDEX-2017 military expoMilitary & Defense February 20, 17:03
Moscow group of Syrian opposition seeks equal rights at Geneva talksWorld February 20, 16:54
Russia's Rostec to sell 12% in Russian Helicopters to investors consortiumBusiness & Economy February 20, 15:53
Four Russian servicemen killed in car blast in SyriaWorld February 20, 15:46
Russian ammo maker to develop AI-based grenade launcher munitionsMilitary & Defense February 20, 15:44
Russia holds talks on sales of T-90-MS tanks to Middle East statesMilitary & Defense February 20, 15:29
Most Russians back continuation of humanitarian aid to Donbass — pollSociety & Culture February 20, 15:13
Turkey may be interested in buying Russian S-400 missile systemsMilitary & Defense February 20, 14:40
Value of S-300 contract with Iran reaches almost $1 blnMilitary & Defense February 20, 14:08
GENEVA, June 2. /TASS/. FIFA President Joseph Blatter said on Tuesday he would announce his resignation at an extraordinary Congress of the organization.
Blatter, 79, was reelected for his fifth consecutive four-year presidential term at the 65th FIFA Congress in Zurich last Friday, when his only rival Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan pulled out after the first round of vote.
Addressing a news conference in Zurich on Tuesday, Blatter said his reelection was not supported by all football federations and organizations, therefore he decided to convene an extraordinary FIFA Congress, where he would step down as the organization’s president.
The congress will take place in the period from December 2015 to March 2016.
Last week Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan and Blatter, who has been at the helm of FIFA since 1998, were the only two candidates in the FIFA presidential election, held every four years.
The Congress, which convenes annually, was marred this year by arrests of FIFA officials earlier in the week.
An unprecedented corruption scandal flared up in FIFA on Wednesday morning last week as seven of the organization’s high-ranking officials were arrested in Switzerland on bribery, money laundering and corruption charges. The scandal involves two separate criminal proceedings.
Firstly, the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York is conducting a criminal investigation into the awarding of media, marketing and sponsorship rights for soccer tournaments in the United States and Latin America. Secondly, the Swiss Office of the Attorney General is conducting a criminal investigation into the selection of Russia as the host country for the 2018 World Cup and Qatar as the host country for 2022.
The arrests of the seven FIFA top officials were made by the Swiss police at the request from the US authorities and they are now facing extradition to the United States.
The US Department of Justice said in its statement on Wednesday that a total of 14 people (nine FIFA officials and five corporate executives) were indicted for racketeering conspiracy and corruption.