MOSCOW, June 2 /TASS/. Russia’s bid to host the 2018 World Cup was submitted according to all existing rules, Russian Sport Minister Vitaly Mutko, the head of the Russia -2018 organizing committee, said on Tuesday.
"No one sees any grounds for cancelling the World Cup. But in order to put a full stop in this issue, FIFA has decided to return the case to the Swiss Office of the Attorney General. The process may last for one, two, three or five years. It’s not that easy. But I do not see any problems here," Mutko said adding that FIFA’s modern trend was to hold World Cups in countries which had never hosted it before in order to leave huge football legacy.
Late in May, the Swiss Federal Department of Justice and Police published a statement confirming the arrest of seven FIFA officials at the request of the US authorities detention in connection with corruption and bribery in the FIFA leadership and in question of selection of World Cup capitals. The arrested officials included FIFA Vice-presidents Jeffrey Webb and Eugenio Figueredo.
Speaking about the recent elections of the FIFA president, Mutko said they had shown that Russian was a respected world sport power.
"I would like to note that we have regained our positions of the world sport leader and a respected and reputable sport power. The events that took place at FIFA last week showed that Russia had sufficient authority in sport and could influence events linked to development of sport," Mutko told a meeting of the presidential Council for the development of physical culture and sport on Tuesday.
"I would also like to note that the previous Council issued an instruction to increase the number of our representatives in international sport organizations. Today, we have 324 representatives of whom 57 occupy leading positions," the Russian sport minister added.