Putin visits international jazz festival in Crimea’s KoktebelSociety & Culture August 21, 2:31
Militants launch shell on exhibition complex near Damascus - televisionWorld August 20, 15:27
Cardinal Parolin: Dialogue of Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches to help them feel unitySociety & Culture August 20, 8:27
Polina Dibrova, mother of three, wins Mrs. Russia 2017 beauty pageantSociety & Culture August 20, 4:41
Russian emergencies ministry plane returns from firefighting mission in ArmeniaWorld August 20, 4:39
East Ukraine conflict claimed nearly 3,000 civilian lives — ICRCWorld August 20, 1:56
Renowned Russian filmmaker Andrei Konchalovsky turns 80Society & Culture August 20, 0:48
One of seven injured in Surgut stabbing spree in critical condition — authoritiesSociety & Culture August 19, 23:51
Netanyahu expects to meet with Putin in Sochi on August 23 — Israeli premier’s officeRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 19, 22:47
MOSCOW, May 27. /TASS/. FIFA President Sepp Blatter issued a statement on Wednesday in the wake of a scandal that broke out earlier on the same day after the Swiss authorities arrested a number of high-rank FIFA officials upon a controversial warrant from the US Attorney General, who charged them with corrupt practices presumably covering the period from 1991 to date.
"This is a difficult time for football, the fans and for FIFA as an organisation," Blatter said. "We understand the disappointment that many have expressed and I know that the events of today will impact the way in which many people view us."
"As unfortunate as these events are, it should be clear that we welcome the actions and the investigations by the US and Swiss authorities and believe that it will help to reinforce measures that FIFA has already taken to root out any wrongdoing in football," the statement went on.
"While there will be many who are frustrated with the pace of change, I would like to stress the actions that we have taken and will continue to take," Blatter wrote. "In fact, today’s action by the Swiss Office of the Attorney General was set in motion when we submitted a dossier to the Swiss authorities late last year."
"Let me be clear: such misconduct has no place in football and we will ensure that those who engage in it are put out of the game," he indicated. "Following the events of today, the independent Ethics Committee - which is in the midst of its own proceedings regarding the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups - took swift action to provisionally ban those individuals named by the authorities from any football-related activities at the national and international level."
"These actions are on top of similar steps that FIFA has taken over the past year to exclude any members who violate our own Code of Ethics," the statement said.
"We will continue to work with the relevant authorities and we will work vigorously within FIFA in order to root out any misconduct, to regain your trust and ensure that football worldwide is free from wrongdoing," he wrote.