Russian prime minister declares 3rd Winter World Military Games openMilitary & Defense February 24, 22:33
Russia to veto UNSC resolution imposing sanctions on Syria — envoyRussian Politics & Diplomacy February 24, 22:29
Ukrainian MP Savchenko arrives in Donetsk republic to visit Ukrainian prisoners — agencyWorld February 24, 22:25
Russian Defense Ministry surprised over German MPs reaction to Reichstag miniature plansRussian Politics & Diplomacy February 24, 16:32
Iraq's PM orders airstrikes on IS positions in SyriaWorld February 24, 16:09
Nord Stream 2 financing model to be ready by year end - OMVBusiness & Economy February 24, 13:44
Churkin left bright mark in history of Russian diplomacy, Lavrov saysRussian Politics & Diplomacy February 24, 12:20
Cargo spacecraft docks ISS in automatic modeScience & Space February 24, 11:58
Belarus to present to European Commission report on NPP stress tests' results - ministryBusiness & Economy February 24, 11:36
GENEVA, May 27. /TASS/. The Swiss police seized on Wednesday bank accounts that were allegedly used in bribery schemes as part of the corruption scandal involving high-profile officials from the International Federation of Football Association (FIFA), the Swiss Federal Office of Justice (FOJ) said in its statement.
"Further to three US requests for legal assistance, the FOJ has also ordered the blocking of accounts at several banks in Switzerland through which bribes are claimed to have flowed as well as the seizure of related bank documents," the statement from FOJ said.
The FOJ reported earlier in the day that seven FIFA officials were arrested on charges of corruption and bribery at the request of the US authorities and are now facing extradition to the United States.
The US Department of Justice said in its statement earlier in the day that a total of 14 people (nine FIFA officials and four sports marketing executives) were indicted for racketeering conspiracy and corruption.
"A 47-count indictment was unsealed early this morning in federal court in Brooklyn, New York, charging 14 defendants with racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies, among other offenses, in connection with the defendants’ participation in a 24-year scheme to enrich themselves through the corruption of international soccer," the statement from the US justice body said.
According to the FOJ, the arrested officials in Switzerland, where they arrived for the May 28-29 FIFA Congress in Zurich, are:
- Eugenio Figueredo, FIFA vice president and executive committee member, CONMEBOL president and Uruguayan soccer federation president. Citizen of Uruguay.
- Eduardo Li, FIFA executive committee member-elect, CONCACAF executive committee member and Costa Rican soccer federation (FEDEFUT) president. Citizen of Costa Rica.
- Jose Maria Marin, FIFA organizing committee for the Olympic football tournaments member and Brazilian soccer federation (CBF) president. Citizen of Brail.
- Julio Rocha, FIFA development officer, Central American Football Union (UNCAF) president and Nicaraguan soccer federation (FENIFUT) president. Citizen of Nicaragua.
- Costas Takkas, CONCACAF attache to the president and CIFA general secretary. Citizen of Great Britain.
- Jeffrey Webb, FIFA vice president and executive committee member, CONCACAF president, CFU executive committee member and Cayman Islands Football Association (CIFA) president. Citizen of Great Britain.
- Rafael Esquivel, President of the Venezuelan Football Federation and Member of the Executive Committee of the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL), Venezuelan citizen.