Currency converter
News Feed
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Montenegro decides against appealing UEFA’s penalty on Euro Cup qualifier against Russia

April 08, 2015, 21:11 UTC+3
Material has 1 page

MOSCOW, April 8. /TASS/. The Montenegrin Football Association decided against appealing the set of penalties imposed by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) over the March 27 qualifier for the 2016 Euro Cup against Russia, a source in the football association of Montenegro told TASS on Wednesday.

At its hearings on Wednesday, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body handed the 0-3 technical defeat to the national football team of Montenegro in the March 27 Euro Cup qualifier against Russia, ordered the Montenegrin team to play next two home matches in front of the empty stadiums and imposed a fine of 50,000 euros.

"The Football Association of Montenegro (FSCG) is deemed to have lost the game 3-0," UEFA said in a statement posted on its official website. "In addition, the FSCG has been ordered to play its next two UEFA competition matches as host association behind closed doors."

"The second match to be played behind closed doors is deferred for a probationary period of two years." The statement said. "Finally, the association has been fined 50,000 euros."

UEFA also ruled on Wednesday to impose 25,000 euros (some $27,150) fine on the Russian Football Union (RFU) for the national team’s "improper conduct of supporters" during the match in Podgorica.

UEFA announced a week ago that it had opened disciplinary proceedings against the RFU over the national fans of throwing flares and other objects during the qualifying match in Podgorica.

Apart from that Europe’s football governing body opened disciplinary proceedings against Montenegro "for the setting off and throwing of fireworks and objects by their spectators and for holding a match that did not get played in full."

Igor Akinfeyev, a goalkeeper of the Russian national football team, sustained severe injuries during the Group G qualifying match after one of the Montenegrin fans hurled a flare at the Russian footballer.

The goalkeeper was carried away on stretchers and the referee had to take both teams off the pitch for about 30 minutes. The injured Russian player was taken to a hospital in Podgorica. After a while the referee ruled play must go on.

The incident occurred seconds after kick-off. Akinfeyev suffered concussion and a burn of the neck. The match had to be eventually terminated in the 68th minute with no goals scored by either side after an object was thrown at Russian defender Dmitry Kombarov. Montenegro are now faced with a 0:3 technical defeat and disqualification of the home stadium.

The Russian team, including Akinfeyev, returned to Moscow after their plane landed at Sheremetyevo airport the following morning. Upon arrival Akinfeyev told the media he was well.

Russia’s head coach Fabio Capello said commenting on the match that the game should have been halted instantly after the first major incident that followed seconds after kickoff.

He explained that was precisely the kind of decision he and all players had been waiting for. Play should have been discontinued at once, he added.

Russia held the third place in its Group G of the 2016 Euro Cup qualifiers with five points after four matches played before the encounter with Montenegro. The national team was ranked behind Austria (10 points/ and Sweden (6 points). Montenegro’s national squad also had five points after four qualifiers played.

The Russian national team started with 4-0 victory over Liechtenstein in September, had two 1-1 draws in October against Sweden and Moldova and lost to the Austrian side 0-1 in November.

Russia's March 27 match in Podgorica was its 300th competitive fixture - including games as the Soviet Union. The team’s previous 299 UEFA European Championship and FIFA World Cup matches ended with the record of 170 won, 66 drawn and 63 lost.

Показать еще
In other media