Russia condemns terror attack in BarcelonaRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 17, 21:32
Russian lawmaker calls on Europe to join efforts in war on terrorRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 17, 21:03
Australia-born track cyclist Perkins says excited to become Russian citizenSport August 17, 20:04
Van rams into pedestrians in BarcelonaWorld August 17, 19:33
Moscow sees chance to improve Russia-US tiesRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 17, 18:47
Russian cosmonauts launch several nanosatellitesScience & Space August 17, 18:42
Deputy PM Mutko pledges to reinstate Russia’s membership with IAAF in nearest futureSport August 17, 18:22
Russian diplomat calls on all countries to fight against extremist web sitesRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 17, 18:16
Russian Center for Reconciliation calls on Syrians to join anti-terrorism effortsMilitary & Defense August 17, 18:05
GENEVA, April 8. /TASS/. The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) handed over 0-3 technical defeat to the Montenegrin national football team in the March 27 Euro Cup qualifier against Russia, a source in the governing football body of Europe told TASS on Wednesday.
At its hearings on Wednesday, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body also ordered the Montenegrin national team to play next two home matches in front of the empty stadiums.
UEFA announced a week ago that it had opened disciplinary proceedings against Montenegro and Russia over March 27 qualifier in Podgorica. The organization said it opened disciplinary proceedings against Montenegro "for the setting off and throwing of fireworks and objects by their spectators and for holding a match that did not get played in full."
Apart from that, UEFA opened disciplinary case against the RFU for throwing flares and other objects by its fans.
Igor Akinfeyev, a goalkeeper of the Russian national football team, sustained severe injuries on the night of March 27 during the Group G qualifying match after one of the Montenegrin fans hurled a flare at the Russian footballer.
The goalkeeper was carried away on stretchers and the referee had to take both teams off the pitch for about 30 minutes. The injured Russian player was taken to a hospital in Podgorica. After a while the referee ruled play must go on.
The incident occurred seconds after kick-off. Akinfeyev suffered concussion and a burn of the neck. The match had to be eventually terminated in the 68th minute with no goals scored by either side after an object was thrown at Russian defender Dmitry Kombarov. Montenegro are now faced with a 0:3 technical defeat and disqualification of the home stadium.
The Russian team, including Akinfeyev, returned to Moscow after their plane landed at Sheremetyevo airport the following morning. Upon arrival Akinfeyev told the media he was well.
Russia’s head coach Fabio Capello said commenting on the match that the game should have been halted instantly after the first major incident that followed seconds after kickoff.
He explained that was precisely the kind of decision he and all players had been waiting for. Play should have been discontinued at once, he added.
Russia held the third place in its Group G of the 2016 Euro Cup qualifiers with five points after four matches played before the encounter with Montenegro. The national team was ranked behind Austria (10 points/ and Sweden (6 points). Montenegro’s national squad also had five points after four qualifiers played.
The Russian national team started with 4-0 victory over Liechtenstein in September, had two 1-1 draws in October against Sweden and Moldova and lost to the Austrian side 0-1 in November.
Russia's March 27 match in Podgorica was its 300th competitive fixture - including games as the Soviet Union. The team’s previous 299 UEFA European Championship and FIFA World Cup matches ended with the record of 170 won, 66 drawn and 63 lost.