SOCHI, February 06. /ITAR-TASS/. Canadian snowboarder Sebastien Toutant said on Thursday he had no issues with the Olympic slopestyle trail at the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park in Russia’s Sochi and its configuration was completely satisfactory.
The configuration of the slopestyle trail was modified on Wednesday following a decision made by the captains of the national Olympic teams. The jumps have been cut from seven to six meters on men's trail and from six to five meters on women’s trail.
Toutant, who earlier in the day snowboarded the men’s trail in slopestyle qualifiers, said he never had any claims about the trail, which was modified after several slopestylers sustained various injuries during training sessions.
The 21-year-old snowboarder said one can get seriously injured on any trail because slopestyle is an extreme sport and snowboarders should always bear in mind that they are at a constant risk.
Earlier in the week, slopestyle medal contender Torstein Horgmo from Norway sustained a collarbone fracture at the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park course after crashing in a rail at a training session. The three-time Winter X-Games champion did not blame the configuration of the trail for his crash saying only that “Injuries and falls are part of this sport.”
Canada’s Toutant responded to White’s decision by writing in his Twitter account: “It's easy to find excuses to pull out of a contest when you think you can't win…”
Toutant and seven more slopestylers qualified on Thursday straight to the final, while 21 more will continue competing for the Olympic victory through the semifinal stage.
The Olympic final and the semifinals in men’s slopestyle, which is the new event to the Winter Olympics starting this year, are scheduled for Saturday and it will be the first medal event at the current Olympics.