Currency converter
^
All news
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Survey shows Russians gladly pitch in to help those in need

December 18, 2017, 15:05 UTC+3 MOSCOW

More than 90% of the poll’s respondents gave back to the community at least once during the past year, most of them supported the activity of charitable organizations

Share
1 pages in this article
© Anton Novoderezhkin/TASS

MOSCOW, December 18. /TASS/. More than 90% of those polled gave back to the community at least once during the past year, most of them supported the activity of charitable organizations, but just 12% do it monthly, according to a survey conducted by the Need Help fund and the Tiburon Research agency which TASS has at its disposal.

The survey questioned men and women aged 18-60, including internet users and residents of cities with a population of at least 100,000. Overall, 1,200 people were questioned.

"During the past 12 months, 92% of the respondents gave back to the community at least once and 85% supported the activity of charitable organizations, including 34% who did it regularly and 12% on a monthly basis," the poll’s text says.

People prefer leaving money in collection boxes, making donations by SMS or giving away items. Respondents over 35 were motivated by civic duty and their upbringing. Those under 25 were guided by "a ‘you-get-what-you-give’ altruism in nature."

In 45% of cases, the donation sum was at least 100 rubles ($ 1.7). The area that gathered the most donations relates to targeted aid - "to cure a child": 56% sent their money for this goal.

Just 18% believe that administrative costs of non-profit organizations (rents, salaries and business travel) should be covered by donations, up from 12% a year ago. A majority are still confident that the state, large businesses and private sponsors should address this task.

Awareness and gender

Roughly, 30% of the respondents monitor the way their contributions go, and about 18% consider it important what reputation a charitable organization has and this was seen as quite vital for female respondents. Women also believe that state programs should fund charitable and non-profit organizations.

"Men make contributions without paying attention to the name, or reputation of a charitable organization," the research says.

Male respondents are also more often confident than women that there should be no salaries in non-profit organizations.

That said, 17.5% of potential do-gooders are ready to entrust the distribution of the donated sum with a charitable organization. "The remaining 82.5% would donate an average of 12 out of 100 rubles for administrative costs to a charitable organization," the report says.

Overall, half of the questioned internet users are ready to make charitable contributions in the future, whereas 38% still have no opinion on the issue.

Show more
Share
In other media
ADVERTISEMENT
Partner News
ADVERTISEMENT