MAGAS, June 3. /TASS/. The head of Russia’s North Caucasus republic of Ingushetia, Yunus-bek Yevkurov, has confirmed that the several men who were killed in a recent security sweep in Nazran and the Nazran district were militants. He was speaking at a news conference in Magas.
On May 26 local police and security forces held a special operation against underground militant groups. Five militants were killed. None of the law enforcers or local civilians was hurt. A number of Internet resources has claimed that those killed were local civilians.
"There can be no doubt those killed and detained were underground militants or their accomplices (to different degrees)," Yevkurov said. The group had plotted terrorist attacks during May holidays and on Republic Day, he added.
Yevkurov said two weeks ago six members of that group had been detained. Their testimonies helped seize a large amount of weapons, ammunition, explosives and makeshift explosive devices, as well as to identify other members of the criminal group.
In last weeks’ security sweep law enforcers detained eight suspects. Three of them were released.
Yevkurov promised that those responsible for spreading disinformation would be brought to justice.