Russia delivers humanitarian aid to Aleppo daily unlike UK — Defense MinistryWorld December 03, 7:29
Foreign ministers of Russia, Japan will discuss Putin’s upcoming visit to TokyoRussian Politics & Diplomacy December 03, 3:37
President of Luxembourg Forum welcomes Russia’s attention to threat of nuclear terrorismWorld December 03, 3:11
Presidential polls to determine vector for Uzbekistan’s further development — CEC chairmanWorld December 03, 2:44
Lavrov, Kerry discuss settlement in Syria at conference in RomeWorld December 03, 1:36
Kiev halves water supplies to LPR from another pumping station — LPR negotiatorWorld December 03, 0:50
Civilian wounded by Ukrainian sniper near Gorlovka — agencyWorld December 03, 0:31
Reconciliation agreements signed with 6 Syrian settlements — Russian Defense MinistryWorld December 02, 23:50
Russia doesn't understand why Kiev still continues operation in Donbass — LavrovRussian Politics & Diplomacy December 02, 22:59
ROSTOV-ON-DON, December 17. /TASS/. Former Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko has declared hunger strike until the trial in southern Russia ends, her lawyer Nikolay Polozov said on Thursday.
"Nadezhda Savchenko has announced hunger strike until the end of the trial. After the verdict she will declare a dry hunger strike. Her demand is to be released," Polozov wrote in his Twitter microblog.
The prosecutors have earlier called for extending the custody of Savchenko for three months until April 16, 2016.
Savchenko has said several times that she would declare hunger strike if the court withdrew her or her lawyers from the hearing. The judge has repeatedly criticized them for their statements and behavior.
The case has been heard by the Donetsk court in southern Russia’s Rostov region since September 22.
Savchenko was charged with complicity in the murder of two Russian journalists in east Ukraine last summer. She also stands charged with attempted murder of civilians who could suffer as a result of artillery fire and illegally crossing the Russian border.
Russian investigators say Savchenko, the gunner of a Mi-24 helicopter, joined the Aidar militant battalion and in June of last year was conducting covert surveillance and direction of artillery bombarding targeting a checkpoint in the much-troubled Luhansk region. The settlement was full of civilians, including three Russian journalists.
As a result, two Russian journalists - Igor Kornelyuk and Anton Voloshin - from the All-Russian Television and Radio Broadcasting Network (VGTRK) died in the shelling.
If found guilty, Savchenko faces up to 25 years in prison.