Nineteen people confirmed dead in Manchester Arena blastWorld May 23, 4:40
Senator: Ukrainian authorities reluctant to stop policy of restricting Ukrainians' rightsRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 23, 3:48
Maestro Gergiyev’s orchestra opens international music festival in SofiaSociety & Culture May 23, 3:44
Anti-Russian sanctions unlikely to be lifted shortly, says parliament speakerBusiness & Economy May 23, 2:33
Senior Russian MP says too early to speak of thaw in Russia-US tiesRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 23, 2:26
NATO’s saber-rattling only impairs security of alliance's members — diplomatRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 22, 20:20
Russian sledge hockey team may compete in 2018 Paralympics — IPCSport May 22, 18:53
PM Medvedev says envoy’s murder 'left imprint' on Russian consulate’s work in TurkeyRussian Politics & Diplomacy May 22, 18:40
Peruvian fire-fighting service wants to buy Russian Mi-171 helicoptersBusiness & Economy May 22, 18:00
ROSTOV-ON-DON, October 5. /TASS/. A regional court in southern Russia has upheld an earlier ruling to extend the arrest of former Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko until January 16, 2016, a court source told TASS.
"Rostov regional court, being higher, upheld Donetsk city court's ruling on the extension..." the source said, noting rejection of the appeal challenging the preliminary hearing's September 15 judgement.
Investigators say Savchenko, a Ukrainian forces officer, joined the Aidar militant battalion and in June of last year was conducting covert surveillance and direction of artillery bombarding of a checkpoint in eastern Ukraine's self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic.
Russian journalists Igor Kornelyuk and Anton Voloshin died in the shelling. Savchenko is also charged with attempted homicide as six local residents also came under fire.
Investigators claim Savchenko came to Russia after illegally crossing the border, hence the location chosen for the trial.