Russian Foreign Ministry slams OSCE car incident in Donbass as 'provocation'Russian Politics & Diplomacy April 23, 19:41
Macron winning presidential polls among French living in US, Canada — TVWorld April 23, 19:12
French nationals in Moscow expect presidential polls to bring changes to their countryWorld April 23, 18:01
French presidential hopefuls cast ballots in first round of electionWorld April 23, 15:52
OSCE staff member dies in car blast in DonbassWorld April 23, 13:55
Presidential hopeful Emmanuel Macron gets in line to voteWorld April 23, 12:26
First candidates cast ballots in presidential election in FranceWorld April 23, 11:26
LIVE updates: French presidential election 2017World April 23, 8:57
Russian soldier’s killer mentally unstable - Armenia’s Investigative CommitteeWorld April 23, 0:48
DONETSK/Rostov region/. September 29. /TASS/. Former Ukrainian military pilot Nadezhda Savchenko told the southern Russian court on Tuesday she could not have been the artillery gunner during the attack on the Luhansk militias as she had been taken captive before that, her lawyer Ilya Novikov has said.
"Savchenko knew where the ambush was. She was captured before reaching the area where the alleged ambush was. The shelling on the reporters was some three or five kilometers from the scene where she was captured," the lawyer said.
Savchenko said on June 17, 2014, when the Russian journalists were killed, she was taken in a car "with a sack over her head.""I was wearing a camouflage uniform. I had no body armor, I had a knife, a rifle, ammunition, two radio stations and two mobile phones," she said.
The Ukrainian said she knew that the Russian journalists died while being captive.
Earlier in the day, Savchenko said she served as an operator of the Mi-24 helicopter and was tasked with performing calculations of flight courses and directions and aiming at the target. Savchenko insisted that she never underwent any special training.
Speaking on the citizens of the war-torn Donbass region in eastern Ukraine, Savchenko said she never felt hatred towards them. "I never treat anyone with aggression," she said.
The Ukrainian said she took the decision to join Kiev’s military operation in Donbass independently.
Savchenko, 34, is charged with complicity in the murder of two Russian journalists in eastern Ukraine last summer. Savchenko also stands charged with attempted murder of civilians who could suffer as a result of artillery fire and illegally crossing the Russian border.
Russian investigators say that Savchenko, the gunner of a Mi-24 helicopter, joined the notorious Aidar battalion during combat operations in the much-troubled Luhansk region of Ukraine in June 2014.
Upon noting the position of a filming crew of the Russian State Broadcasting Company and other civilians, Savchenko allegedly reported the data to mortar-equipped personnel who opened fire on the crew and the civilians. As a result, correspondent Igor Kornelyuk and sound engineer Anton Voloshin were killed.
If found guilty, Savchenko faces up to 25 years in prison.