MOSCOW, May 26. /TASS/. Kremlin has not received appeals for help from Moldova’s breakaway republic of Transdniestria, Vladimir Putin’s spokesman said on Tuesday.
"I also read media reports in the morning, but unfortunately I don’t know anything about any concrete requests - how they appealed, through which channels and so on, that is why I can’t tell you anything," Peskov told reporters.
Sixty-six nongovernmental organizations of Transdniestria announced on Monday their decision to appeal to the Russian president for help in case of a looming new war.
The decision was taken at their general meeting, and said these organizations asked the Russian Federation act as guarantor of peace and speak on behalf of the republic in the process of negotiations, applying any measures - political, economic, diplomatic, sanctions or even military measures, if necessary.
The Transdniestrian conflict started in March 1992 when the first clashes occurred between Moldovan police and Transdniestrian militia near the city of Dubossary, which were followed by an outbreak of armed hostilities. By summer, it had developed into large-scale fighting in Bendery, where about a thousand people were killed and tens of thousands were wounded and became refugees.
The fratricidal war was stopped after a peace agreement was signed in Moscow in July of the same year and Russian peacekeepers were brought into the conflict area.
Since then, they have been guarding peace and calm in the region, together with their Moldovan and Transdniestria colleagues, thus allowing Chisinau and Tiraspol to conduct negotiations on the settlement of the conflict around the breakaway republic.