MOSCOW, December 25 /TASS/. New power blackouts are unlikely to threaten Crimea in the near future, Oleg Savelyev, the Russian minister of Crimean Affairs, told journalists on Thursday.
“I do not think we are going to face such restrictions,” he said after electricity supplies had been resumed to the peninsula.
Savelyev added that the republic would work out measures in case of possible emergency power cuts during the holidays, including those caused by technical problems at Ukraine’s power transmission system.
“Everybody is going to monitor the situation seriously and prepare anti-emergency measures if necessary,” the minister went on to say.
Crimea’s energy system will become fully independent from Ukraine by late 2017 thanks to a number of measures envisaged by the federal target program of Crimea’s development, Savelyev added.
Ukraine cut off all electricity supplies to Crimea for several hours on Wednesday. A schedule of rolling power blackout was introduced on the peninsula on December 24. About 740,000 people were left without light or electricity.
Ukraine ensures 80% of Crimea’s needs in electricity. The Kiev authorities have warned that they may suspend electric power supplies in case of “overuse”.
As it became known on Thursday, Moscow and Kiev are working on a contract that will ensure uninterrupted electric power supplies to the peninsula. Under the document, Russia will export electric energy to Ukraine which, in turn, will guarantee electricity supplies to Crimea.
“We will start working under the terms of this contract as of next week,” Russian Vice-Premier Dmitry Kozak said.