Press review: Ripples from Barcelona terror attack and risks from China's shale revolutionPress Review August 18, 13:00
Georgia asks Ukraine to extradite ex-president SaakashviliWorld August 18, 12:11
Russian planes to be equipped with ‘nervous system’ for monitoring airframe flawsScience & Space August 18, 11:39
Muscovites bring flowers to Spanish embassySociety & Culture August 18, 11:13
Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacksWorld August 18, 9:49
Syrian army encircles terrorists near strategic city of AkerbatMilitary & Defense August 18, 9:05
Spanish police confirm four terrorists shot dead in CambrilsWorld August 18, 5:56
Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona terror attackWorld August 18, 3:07
Russian cosmonauts successfully complete spacewalkScience & Space August 18, 2:37
On August 8, Russian news agency Rossiya Segodnya (formerly known as RIA Novosti) announced it had lost contact with its photo reporter Andrei Stenin who worked in eastern Ukraine. Stenin’s colleagues said they had no information about his whereabouts, adding that he could have headed towards the town of Shakhtersk together with militia forces.
At the same time the iKorpus news agency reported that its two photojournalists Sergei Korenchenkov and Andrei Vyachalo, who were traveling in the same car with Stenin, had also gone missing.
As soon as Stenin was reported missing, a source in Eastern Ukraine said that he had been captured that he was captured by Ukrainian security officers and taken to the city of Zaporozhye.
On August 12, Anton Gerashchenko, an advisor to Ukraine’s interior minister, said that Stenin could have been arrested by Ukrainian security services. However, on August 16 Gerashenko said Stenin was put on the wanted list.
On August 18, Alexander Shtol, the chief of Rossiya Segodnya photo service, said he believed that Ukraine might want to exchange Stenin for some important person.
On August 20, Gerashchenko said that Ukraine’s law enforcers had no information on Stenin’s fate.
On August 11, the Russian Embassy in Kiev sent a note to the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry requesting information on the whereabouts of Russian photojournalist Andrei Stenin
On August 12 ,the Russian Investigative Committee investigating committee opened a criminal case into Stenin’s kidnapping.
On August 15, the Russian Embassy in Kiev sent a second note to the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry requesting to comment on the reports of Stenin’s alleged detention by Ukraine’s special services.
On August 11, an EU officials said that Brussels was concerned about Stenin’s disappearance and had already taken measures to get official information about Stenin and his probable whereabouts.
OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatovic demanded Stenin’s immediate release in a statement.
The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) also called for Stenin's urgent release.
On August 12, the New York-based committee to protect journalists demanded from the Ukrainian authorities the explanations on Stenin’s fate.