Currency converter
^
News Feed
News Search Topics
ОК
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting
sections.
Loading

Russia-suggested statement calling for a ceasefire in Ukraine has been blocked at UN SC

August 29, 2014, 1:33 UTC+3 UNITED NATIONS
"The Security Council, owing to deconstructive efforts being made by a number of its members, failed to play its role" in settling the Ukrainian crisis, Vitaly Churki said
1 pages in this article
© EPA/ANDREW GOMBERT

UNITED NATIONS, August 29. /ITAR-TASS/. A Russia-suggested statement of the UN Security Council about a ceasefire in Ukraine's east has been blocked at the UN SC, Russia's UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin stated on Thursday. 

"The Russian delegation-suggested statement about a ceasefire was blocked on simply a frivolous pretext," the diplomat said. "The Security Council, owing to deconstructive efforts being made by a number of its members, failed to play its role" in settling the Ukrainian crisis, he said. "We witnessed this again during a session on Ukraine earlier in the day," he added.

During the meeting at the UN SC, Lithuania's UN Ambassador Raimonda Murmokaite said the Russia-prepared draft document "does not reflect some serious matters", including the one concerning the fact that "separatists hamper the provision of humanitarian aid on the part of Ukraine's government".

The Russia-suggested UNSC statement for the press expresses serious concern over the deteriorating situation in Ukraine's south-east and contains a call for an "immediate and unconditional cessation of fire", as well as for the launching of a dialogue "on the basis of the Geneva Statement, dated April 17, 2014, and the Berlin Joint Declaration, dated July 2, 2014". The text also points out the need "to redouble efforts towards providing humanitarian aid to the population of Donetsk and Lugansk regions of Ukraine".

Show more
In other media
Реклама
Реклама