Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov had telephone talks with Laurent Corbaz, the ICRC’s head of operations for Europe and Central Asia, on Wednesday, on Wednesday to discuss the situation concerning Russia’s humanitarian aid for Ukraine.
“We call for beginning humanitarian deliveries as soon as possible,” the ministry said.
“Russia did its best to ensure the safety of the humanitarian convoy and its distribution among the people in need,” it said.
Earlier in the day, Ryabkov and Corbaz said the convoy of Russian trucks carrying humanitarian aid for the embattled southeastern Ukrainian regions was ready to cross the border into Ukraine.
“The first group of the Red Cross representatives has already set out along the planned delivery route,” the ministry said.
The ministry also said that the talks between Ryabkov and Corbaz were based on numerous telephone conversations on Tuesday held by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov with ICRC President Peter Maurer and Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavel Klimkin.
The aid convoy includes about 270 trucks delivering 2,000 tons of basic necessities for southeast Ukraine residents. The Russian authorities said the humanitarian cargo included 400 tons of groats, 100 tons of sugar, 62 tons of baby food, 54 tons of medicines and medical items, 12,000 sleeping bags and 69 mobile power units.