MOSCOW, August 09. /ITAR-TASS/. The Russian Defence Ministry on Saturday denied Western media reports alleging that 12 Russian Army Main Intelligence Directorate (GRU) commandos had been killed in Ukraine and described them as “a fake”.
It said the same allegations had already been carried by Ukrainian mass media several weeks ago. Now they were reported by The Financial Times.
“Sam Jones [the author of the article], who specialises in Russian affairs and who has numerous sources in the MI-6 [British intelligence service] has deeply swallowed the fake that was played out several weeks ago by Ukrainian mass media. But he barely digested it as can be seen from his article,” Defence Ministry spokesperson, Major General Igor Konashenkov said.
He said the whole text was riddled with “cliches and copied passages from Wikipedia.”
“There is nothing concrete, only some obscure ‘information’ from social networks and far-fetched ambiguous comments by anonymous sources from British intelligence services. As a result, he made a whole essay. But as Winston Churchill once said, if the truth is multifaceted, a lie is always polyphonic,” Konashenkov said, adding that The Financial Times has a serious business audience which “as a rule does not appreciate sapless propaganda tricks”.