MOSCOW, May 03. /ITAR-TASS/. There is still chance of dialogue between the Kiev authorities and representatives of the South-East of Ukraine, provided Kiev cancels its criminal order to use the army against its own people and brings radicals under control, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
The Russian Foreign Ministry also voiced concern over reports indicating that the Ukrainian army, supported by militants from the ultranationalist Right Sector, is preparing to storm several cities in the South-East of the country, including Slavyansk.
In a telephone conversation with his German counterpart Frank-Walter Steinmeier on Saturday, May 3, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov urged him “to ensure that the departure of European officers [released by militia earlier in the day with Russia’s assistance] from Slavyansk is not taken by Kiev’s law enforcers and extremists as a signal for an attack and a new bloodbath like that in Odessa”, the Foreign Ministry said.
Steinmeier agreed with the need to stop the violence in Ukraine and start implementing the Geneva Statement of April 17 immediately.
The ministers pledged to facilitate dialogue between Kiev and representatives of the South-East of Ukraine under the auspices of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).