Presidential hopeful Emmanuel Macron gets in line to voteWorld April 23, 12:26
First candidates cast ballots in presidential election in FranceWorld April 23, 11:26
LIVE updates: French presidential election 2017World April 23, 8:57
Russian soldier’s killer mentally unstable - Armenia’s Investigative CommitteeWorld April 23, 0:48
Sculpture to US president Franklin D. Roosevelt unveiled in CrimeaSociety & Culture April 22, 23:11
‘No danger’ for Novaya Gazeta journalists — Chechnya’s headSociety & Culture April 22, 21:54
Roosevelt wanted to buy a piece of Crimea in final days of World War IIWorld April 22, 17:27
FC Zenit St Petersburg 2-0 FC Ural in first official match at renovated stadiumSport April 22, 17:25
Two bandits from IS gang killed in Stavropol territoryWorld April 22, 15:12
MOSCOW, January 18, /ITAR-TASS/. Gunmen, including a leader of an illegal armed group, have been killed in a special operation in the village of Semender in Makhachkala's suburbs, Dagestan, the National Antiterrorism Committee's information centre told Itar-Tass.
Members of the Makhachkala terrorist group were detected hot on the trail in a special operation conducted against bandits involved in the attack committed on Friday in Makhachkala, where fire was opened from a grenade launcher and a bomb was set off near a restaurant.
The counterterrorist operation regime was imposed in the village of Semender overnight. Special-purpose forces of the Federal Security Service and the Russian Interior Ministry blocked the gunmen in a house.
The NAC reported earlier that after negotiations with the blocked bandits, a woman with three children left the house.
During the operation, when negotiations continued, the gunmen twice attempted to break through the cordon and escape. The attempts were thwarted, a NAC source said.
Seven bandits have been neutralized. Among them is Makhmud Aliyev, who became leader of the Makhachkala gang three days ago, and 26-year-old Zaira Aliyeva, widow of a bandit who was neutralized earlier. Bandits planned to use her as a suicide bomber.
Law enforcement sources reported earlier that five to seven people were in the house.
The gunmen were blocked by law-enforcers on Friday night. The operation was suspended till Saturday morning. However, the gunmen opened fire at night and attempted to break through, but they failed, a local law-enforcement source told Itar-Tass earlier.
As was reported, the forces began to storm the house. According to the NAC's information, some still remained in the house, and the operation was continuing.
A gunman was killed in another exchange of fire in Dagestan on Friday night. The fighting took place near the settlement of Kichi-Gamri at 23:00. None among law-enforcers was hurt there.