MOSCOW, January 13. /ITAR-TASS/. The Russian Interior Ministry had not confirmed officially that the country refuses an extradition request for Russian business tycoon Sergey Polonsky from Cambodia, but if this information is confirmed, Moscow will keep on seeking for an extradition of the businessman, the press centre of the country’s Interior Ministry told Itar-Tass on Monday.
“If media reports are confirmed, Russian law enforcement agencies will keep on insisting on an extradition of the businessman, because the criminal case was opened against him and is being actively investigated,” the press centre said.
Polonsky’s lawyer Alexander Karabanov said earlier that Cambodia had refused to extradite Sergey Polonsky to Russia. “The today’s court verdict puts an end in the extradition case. The Cambodian court did not find corpus delicti in the Interpol material. The court ruled that a legal dispute between Polonsky and Russian authorities should be settled within civil legal relations,” the lawyer said.
Polonsky was released from the Cambodian detention centre, but he will live on recognizance not to leave the city in Cambodia so far, Karabanov noted.
On June 14, 2013, the investigation department of the Russian Interior Ministry accused in absentia Sergey Polonsky of a massive fraud in the construction of the residential district “Kutuzovskaya Mile” in Moscow. More than 80 people were found as injured parties in the criminal case. The detectives have found that a company under control of Polonsky has received around 5.7 billion roubles ($171.6 million) from depositors, but then froze up the construction project, breaking the liabilities in the contracts. After that the company’s top management initiated deliberate bankruptcy and shut down of the company.