MOSCOW, January 12, /ITAR-TASS/. Lawyers of Russian business tycoon Sergey Polonsky have no documents certifying that a criminal case against Polonsky for illegal deprivation of freedom of Cambodian sailors has been dismissed, one of his lawyers, Alexander Karabanov, told Itar-Tass.
“Two months ago, a representative of the Cambodian interior ministry said the case on charges of attacking two sailors had been withdrawn. Polonsky and two more Russian citizens were suspects in that case,” he said, adding that he had no documents proving this information.
Cambodian law enforcement agencies are investigating a criminal case against Polonsky for illegal deprivation of freedom of the sailors and the captain of a ship the Russian tycoon owned. The Cambodian authorities arrested Polonsky at the end of 2012 within the criminal case, but he was released on bail in April 2013.
Now, according to Karabanov, Polonsky is being kept at a Cambodia detention centre before a Cambodian court decision of his extradition to Russia, where he is facing fraud charges.
It was reported earlier that a trial over Polonsky’s extradition could be held on Sunday. But the court session was delayed to an indefinite date. “It may take place next week,” Karabanov said.
On June 14, the investigation department of the Russian Interior Ministry brought charges against Sergei Polonsky in absentia for fraud in the construction of the Kutuzovskaya Mile housing complex. Investigators say a Polonsky-controlled company had received about 5.7 billion roubles from interest-holders but then froze the construction and failed to meet its contract obligations. After that, the company’s executives intentionally initiated bankruptcy procedures and the firm’s subsequent liquidation. Their actions damaged the interests of more than 80 people.