MOSCOW, December 30. /ITAR-TASS/. The trolleybus in the southern Russian city of Volgograd has been exploded by a suicide bomber, Investigation Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin told Itar-Tass.
Two explosions in Volgograd — at a railway and in a trolleybus have been interrelated, Markin said.
“A skeleton remained from the trolleybus. There is no roof. Moreover, the power of the explosion was too strong that had broken out windows in a five-storey building. Now we can say the explosive device was blasted by a suicide bomber whose body’s fragments were found and sent to DNA testing,” Markin said.
According to preliminary data, the power of the explosion was equivalent to at least 4 kg TNT, the Investigation Committee spokesman said.
The power of the blast at the railway station was equivalent to at least 10 kg TNT, he said.“An explosive device, which was used to blast the trolleybus, was full of destructive elements. As both explosive devices’ striking elements are identical this proves that there is interrelation between the two terrorist acts,” the spokesman said, adding “Maybe, they are being prepared in one place.”
“According to updated information, fourteen people died and 28 people were taken to hospital. The investigation says the date and the place of the terrorist act were elected not incidentally because most people in the area, including students, go by this bus in the morning,” Markin said.
On Sunday, December 29, an explosion struck a railway in the city and killed 17 people, injured over 40 people. Five people are at critical condition.
Previously, a terrorist act was committed in Volgograd on October 21, 2013 when an explosion hit a bus, which carried over 40 passengers. Seven people died and over 40 people were injured.