MOSCOW, December 30. /ITAR-TASS/. Twenty-three people, including a one-year-old newborn were taken to hospitals after a bomb attack in a trolleybus in the Russian southern city of Volgograd, regional medical services told Itar-Tass on Monday.
According to latest reports, 10 people were killed in the bomb explosion and 23 wounded.
The bomb was set off when the trolleybus was crossing an area close to one of the city’s markets.
Itar-Tass reporter Igor Kalenich said in an eyewitness account from the scene that the trolley had been smashed entirely only a metallic frame had remained of it. The bodies of the dead were lying around.
Early evidence suggests that the explosion in a trolleybus in Volgograd, which occurred Monday morning, was carried out by a male suicide bomber, a source in the law enforcement agencies told Itar-Tass.
“This is indicated by the character of the explosion and the typical bodily fragments found on the spot,” he said.
Regional Governor Sergei Bozhenov and Russia’s federal Healthcare Minister Veronika Skvortsova, who arrived in Volgograd the day before in connection with another terrorist act, came to the site of explosion.