St PETERSBURG, December 24, 3:40 /ITAR-TASS/. Historic train maintenance depot, which is inseparable from the 150-years-long history of Russia’s first major railway line, is opening after a technological overhaul and is fully ready to service new-generation trains and locomotives.
The St Petersburg Moskovsky maintenance depot is located to the south of the Moskovsky railway station and occupies a territory stretching towards the embankment of the Obvodny /Water Bypass/ Canal. Its overhaul that began in 2008 included re-equipment of tracks, construction of utility pipelines and networks and a new office building, and a complete overhaul of the station’s compressor plant.
President of Russia’s state railway corporation RZD Vladimir Yakunin is expected to attend a gala ceremony at the depot, which is famous for being the hub of St Petersburg-Moscow trains, including the plush de-luxe ones.
As part of the ceremony, RZD executives will unveil a monument to one the depot’s most exemplary workers, Boris Salambekov, who was the director of the Leningrad railway cluster from 1942 through to 1946. His tremendous efforts in organizing and maintaining the operations of railway facilities at the peak of World War II and the Siege of Leningrad brought him the title of a Hero of Socialist Labor in 1943.