Currency converter
All news
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Russian Greenpeace activists Sinyakov and Allakhverdov released from prison

November 21, 2013, 15:12 UTC+3 ST PETERSBURG

"This is not a dot, this is just a comma, because the case, unfortunately, is instituted unfairly," the Russian photographer said

1 pages in this article
Denis Sinyakov

Denis Sinyakov

© ITAR-TASS/Yuri Belinsky

ST. PETERSBURG, November 21. /ITAR-TASS/. Russian Greenpeace activists, Denis Sinyakov and Andrei Allakhverdov, have been released on bail of two million rubles each after being arrested for attempting to storm the Russian Arctic oil rig Prirazlomnaya, Itar-Tass reported from the scene on Thursday.

A crowd of journalists waited for them at the doors of the detention centre in St. Petersburg. Both activists thanked everybody for support and said they were glad to be freed.

“I am in good mood,” Denis Sinyakov said. “I plan to take efforts to return my things and photo equipment. This is not a dot, this is just a comma, because the case, unfortunately, is instituted unfairly. I would like to work with Doctors Without Borders and with Greenpeace. This arrest did not fear me, because I was not guilty as well as the guys who just carried out a peaceful protest.”

“I am very glad to find myself beyond prison’s walls, but I do not think the case is over, it has not been closed yet,” Greenpeace spokesman Andrei Allakhverdov said. “I have no person who has turned away from me. All this time I felt support of my colleagues, friends and relatives. I do not regret my participation in the action. Greenpeace has never been an extremist organization; this is a peaceful, non-violent organization. It cannot be recognized extremist.”

{{secondsToDateTime(data.visiblePosition) | date: 'HH:mm:ss'}} / {{(videoDuration | date: 'HH:mm:ss') || '00:56'}}
{{secondsToDateTime(data.visiblePosition) | date: 'mm:ss'}} / {{(videoDuration | date: 'mm:ss') || '00:56'}}
{{qualityItem | uppercase}}
SD .mp4 Medium quality
The protesters were detained on September 18 when trying to climb the Prirazlomnaya rig from aboard the Arctic Sunrise. Their ship was towed to the port of Murmansk in northern Russia. In October, the Russian Investigative Committee dropped piracy charges against the group, replacing alleged piracy with an accusation of hooliganism.

In November St. Petersburg’s courts ruled to release 18 activists each on bail of two million rubles, except for Colin Russell of Australia, who might remain in custody until February 24, 2014.

Show more
In other media
Partner News