Currency converter
All news
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Power of explosive device in Volgograd bus estimated at 2-3 kg TNT

October 22, 2013, 10:47 UTC+3

The bomb was packed with shrapnel

1 pages in this article
© Photo ITAR-TASS/Dmitry Rogulin

MOSCOW, October 22. (ITAR-TASS). — The power of the bomb that blew up a bus in Volgograd on Monday, October 21, is estimated at 2-3 kg TNT, as reported by law enforcement authorities’ representatives in the region.

The explosion occurred on the eve in 50 meters from the ‘Lesobaza’ bus stop.

“The bomb was packed with shrapnel,” the source said.

Who committed the attack

The explosive device was set off by a native of Dagestan Naida Asiyalova that carried the bomb on her body. According to a source in the law enforcement structures of Dagestan, she was the wife of Dmitry Sokolov, a gunmen from the Makhachkala gang.

“During the examination of the scene, there were found fragments of an explosive device, an unexploded grenade, a bus ticket Makhachkala - Moscow, a passport in the name of Asiyalova,” the police reported. The bomber arrived in Volgograd by bus from Makhachkala. She took off the bus in the Dzerzhinsk district and moved to the 29th bus route.

Upon the attack a criminal case has been filed under part 3, article 205 of the Criminal Code (terrorist attack), part 2, article 105 of the Criminal Code (murder), article 222 of the Criminal Code (illicit arms).

As a result of the blast six people were killed, 37 were injured and taken to hospital. At 05:15 Moscow time (01:15 GMT) a special flight of the Emergencies Ministry brought the people affected from Volgograd to Moscow. As deputy head of the EMERCOM National Center for Crisis Management Emergency Russian Oleg Voronov told Itar-Tass, on board were four victims of the terrorist attack accompanied by their close relatives.

Eyewitness: ‘The scene was horrific’

“The scene was just terrible. It was not immediately clear what happened,” one of the drivers of cars that passed near the bus at the moment of the explosion said. “People were bleeding from ears. Everybody was in shock... One man pressed a child to his chest,” he told the Russia 24 TV channel.

The eyewitness said that he was ready to carry people to the hospital, but emergency services arrived at lightning speed. “The drivers didn’t have time to get from their cars as road patrol service cars and emergencies came,” he went on saying.

Show more
In other media
Partner News