PERM, October 18 (Itar-Tass) - As many as 52 schoolchildren have been taken to hospital, two of them in critical condition, with food intoxication from a Perm-based school, Yuri Pavletsov, director of the city administration’s health department, told Itar-Tass on Friday.
“As of 21:00 local time (19:00 Moscow time) fifty-two schoolchildren were hospitalized,” he said. “Two children are in an intensive care ward. The rest are in satisfactory condition. Forty-seven more children and one adult are undergoing out-patient treatment.”
According to the Perm department of the Russian consumer rights protection authority (Rospotrebnadzor), the children (aged from seven to 14) got poisoned at the school canteen managed by a private entrepreneur. On October 16, they had onion and egg pasties, borscht and cutlets.
The work of the canteen was suspended on October 17 to carry out anti-epidemics measure. Rospotrebnadzor specialists are probing into the incident.